An apple a day keeps the doctor away”… but wait… what? how ? why? . hmm..I guess it is an attempt to make eat fruit every day. Well, if the intent of the proverb is to highlight the importance of consuming a fruit to lead a healthy life, then why to honor apple and why not mention banana or orange or my favorite Avocado (Yes dear, Avocado is a fruit 🙂 ). Let me get to the bottom of this and see if apple is really worth the tag (Hello, lets not think about Steve job’s apple here).
Apples have properties that no other fruits have and its benefits have been proven overtime. Apples contains Vitamin C, Low in calories, Prevent Cancers and Heart Diseases, Healthier Lungs.
Oh wow, that’s a lot of benefits but even with so many reasons to eat, SORRY Apple goddess I can’t stand the taste of you.May be Newton, too doesn’t like you, otherwise when an apple fell on his side, he wont be thinking about universal law of gravitation rather than grabbing and eating.
I really really wanna like you and savor but just my taste buds wont adjust to you. I’m so jealous when others eat you and say you are their favorite fruit but to me you are still the FORBIDDEN Fruit. Probably if I were EVE of Eden garden, I would have never touched this apple and we all would have been in paradise living happily ever after. Anyways, while I contemplate with the benefits vs taste, I came up with the idea of why not have the both? This is how I found this amazing recipe which combines the best of both these worlds – Cashew Apple Curry.
This is the healthy, easy, delicious and gourmet recipe with apple, served with chapati or rice.
Tomato 2 nos
Butter 2 tsp
Apple 2 nos
Cashew nuts 10 nos
Fennel seeds ½ tsp
Cinnamon 1 stick
Onions(chopped) 1 cup
Red chilly powder 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
Pepper powder ½ tsp
Garam masala powder ¼ tsp
Green bell pepper 1 nos
Salt To taste
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Fresh cream 2 tbs
Lime juice. 1 tsp
Sugar ½ tsp
1. Take a blender and add cashew nuts, tomato and make into smooth paste.
2. Heat butter in a pan and add fennel seeds, cinnamon stick, onions, little salt and saute it.
3. To it add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, pepper powder, garam-masala powder, Ginger garlic paste,tomato mixture paste and cook it for 2 min with lid on it.
4. To it add diced green bell pepper, apple, little water and cook it with lid on it, until apple becomes soft.
5. To it add little sugar, little salt, fresh cream and mix nicely, later add lime juice.
6. Now cashew apple curry is ready to serve with roti or rice.
Note to raw apples devotes
Cooking can affect heat-sensitive nutrients, but overall, the nutritional value of cooked apples is relatively similar to that of fresh apples. Having said that, cooked apples are better tolerated by people with a sensitive digestive tract because of their increased digestibility. So I guess its up to you to try this dish or eat as is.